It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 09:31

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Nov 2017, 19:28 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I am starting a new section of this post as the original became somewhat sidetracked. There was a lot of useful information and some beautiful photos, but the original intent of the thread went somewhat awry.

This post has been re-edited. I originally gave two dates to choose from, then added another to fit in two people who couldn't meet those dates. I have set the date at May 18-20, 2018. Having three dates to choose from and four sites to choose from was just too many variables to deal with.

Mason city park - a central location close to several crossings of the Llano; fairly close to South Llano State Park; and not far to the San Saba. We have previous
experience with this park. The hosts are very accomodative. Good facilities are available. All the tent campers will be together and there are
plenty of RV sites. About an hour and a half from the Nueces, Frio, and Sabinal Rivers.

South Llano River State Park - plenty of camp sites, but may be scattered around. Right on the South Llano. About an hour or so to the Nueces or Frio Rivers.
Fairly close access to other Llano crossings. Not far to San Saba.

Lost Maples State Natural Area - located on Sabinal River. Close to Nueces and Frio Rivers. About an hour and a half from Llano.

Garner State Park -Extremely popular park; likely to be crowded. Located on Frio River. If warm enough by April, likely to be a lot of tubers and other floaters on the river. Has nice screened shelters, negating the need for tents. Located between Nueces and Sabinal Rivers.

Nueces River - supposed to be an excellent flyfishing stream, like all the others. Camping would be at one of the other sites.

At this time I am asking that anybody interested in attending please announce yourself. Also indicate your preference for the site of the gathering. I am amenable to any of the sites, but I don't want to make the decision unilaterally.

Larry

Last edited by Canoeman1947 on 13 Dec 2017, 23:53, edited 4 times in total.

Post 29 Nov 2017, 23:44 • #2 
Master Guide
4-27

Mason

I’m good w anything though

Post 30 Nov 2017, 09:52 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds like a fantastic time at some of my favorite places. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year.

Post 30 Nov 2017, 10:19 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I'll be checking with home general for dates.

Les

Post 30 Nov 2017, 10:30 • #5 
Piscator
State parks will take reservations, and if you choose Garner, should be able to block adjacent campsites with sufficient notice.

Post 30 Nov 2017, 19:15 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I edited the original post to fit Kurt and Carl into the schedule. The last weekend of May is Memorial Day weekend which means there will be a lot of people out and about. How does the weekend of May 19-20 fit everybody's schedule?

Larry

Last edited by Canoeman1947 on 03 Dec 2017, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Dec 2017, 11:06 • #7 
Master Guide
I’m good in May

Post 03 Dec 2017, 15:53 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
So far, except for Mike expressing interest in setting up at Mason, I haven't heard any suggestions for where people might like to meet up.

Larry

Post 03 Dec 2017, 18:24 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
mason-
less driving more fishing for those of us coming in Thursday and leaving Sunday

Post 03 Dec 2017, 21:04 • #10 
Master Guide
More fishing is always good

Post 04 Dec 2017, 10:23 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Kurt and I are both in favor of Mason, and since another guy (Dee) will probably be coming with us, that makes three more votes for Mason.

Larry

Post 04 Dec 2017, 18:50 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Larry,

For a potential head count, I would be interested and possibly my bro-in-law.

Location wise, it would be all new to me so no disappointments regardless.

Thanks for your effort.

Eric

Post 04 Dec 2017, 22:17 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
You would most assuredly be welcome; always ready to meet new people. Besides, with most of our hardcore group that's been meeting for several years, we've already seen and cast all the other guy's rods.

Larry

Post 05 Dec 2017, 07:54 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Larry.

My rod collection, if you could call it that, is bare bones. I am sure your group is already familiar with the 4/5 wt Steffen. Otherwise a graphite 6 wt Hardy Smuggler for windier conditions. Looking to add one more rod and then I am done. Yeah boring, I know :)

Post 05 Dec 2017, 12:06 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
For some reason, whenever we get together a lot of rods come out for casting comparison. A person might find just the rod he is looking for. Several of us seem to have some surplus to our needs.

Larry

Post 05 Dec 2017, 15:31 • #16 
Master Guide
surplus, lol

Post 06 Dec 2017, 13:18 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
y'all have fun- I'm unable to come on this one.
I left a message with Wabash1967 to see if he can gather up a fly fisher or two and join you.

Les

Post 06 Dec 2017, 13:44 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Les,
I was afraid of that. I had looked at school year calendars in your area, and noted that graduation was to be held on the 18th. It seems like no matter how we juggle the calendar, somebody's going to miss out. Tell your niece to film the event and send it to your phone and you can watch in real time while fishing.

Larry

P.S. - Another thought. Several of us are planning to come in a few days early as that is a long way to go for just two days fishing. Maybe you could come down earlier in the week and go back home to attend the graduation.

Post 06 Dec 2017, 14:40 • #19 
Master Guide
Les,
gonna miss ya

Post 06 Dec 2017, 16:18 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
We plan to bring a pop-up camper to the outing. A couple of guys on the Ultralight forum will be bringing large RV's. One of those guys pointed out he needs a 50 amp electrical site. The state parks only offer 30 amp sites. The Mason city park site has 8 pull through sites and 24 sites overall for RV's, offering both 30 amp and 50 amp electrical service. I just talked to Brenda Mueller one of the camp hosts and she said they could reserve a block in the tent area for our group and if we made reservations early enough we could put our RV's next to the tent camping area.

Larry

Post 07 Dec 2017, 09:09 • #21 
Master Guide
I'll probably be hammock camping again

Post 13 Dec 2017, 23:53 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Since only one person has put in a bid for another location, and several have stated they would prefer meeting in Mason, then Mason it is. I need to get some idea of who will be using a tent and who will be bringing an RV. Brenda Mueller at Mason City Park said she would try to put us all together in one area. I will post further information in the next day or so.
\
So the official date is May 18-20, and the gathering will take place at the city park in Mason, Texas. Some of us are planning on coming in earlier in the week.

Larry

Post 20 Dec 2017, 10:11 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
I made my reservation at Mason City Park this morning. I will be setting up next to the tent camping area. Brenda Mueller, one of the camp hosts, said they would leave 3 or 4 RV sites closest to the tent camping area available for those bringing RV's. I will be arriving on May 15 and stay through to Sunday the 20th. I know a few others will likewise show up early.

TO MAKE RESERVATIONS call: 1-325-347-2064. No payment in advance. They will take cash or credit card on arrival. She did mention that with a credit card there is a small surcharge (approx. 2.5% of the total) When you make your reservations, tell them you will be there for the HILL COUNTRY FLYFISHING event so they will know to put everybody in the same area. When you call you may have to leave a message, but they will call you back. Don't reject the call if you see WEST CENTRAL WI show up on your caller ID. I almost missed the call back until I noticed the number.

The camp hosts, Corky and Brenda Mueller, are very nice people and made our stay there in 2015 very pleasant. The park offers 30 and 50 amp electrical connections for RV's. Water and electricity are available in the tent camping area. There are two shower houses and a small laundry facility. They keep the park very clean.

Larry

Post 24 Dec 2017, 13:11 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
One of the guys who had planned to come with me on this trip had to bow out as he realized he had two birthdays and a wedding occupying the first three weekends of May. Kurt is still planning to come, and my 15 year old grandson has said he would really like to accompany us. He is a little uncertain about flyfishing, but I have no doubt he can pick it up quickly. He is an athlete and a good wing shot. I tried to teach him to cast a fly rod when he was 9 and he did pretty well, but elected to stay with his spin fishing at that time. I am looking forward to teaching him. He usually fishes ponds and lakes, but he waded a stream with me when he was 6 and caught a lot of sunfish. He thought that was really cool.

Larry

Post 24 Dec 2017, 13:14 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Those who haven't made reservations early should probably do so. Mrs. Mueller said if we can get our spots reserved early we can all stay in one general area instead of being spread out. Again, payment is not due until you arrive, and you can always cancel at any time if something comes up.

Larry

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply