It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:02

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Mar 2018, 09:40 • #51 
Glass Fanatic
About six of us plan to come in three days early for the Hill Country Gathering, and the reason is so we can go to some of the rivers further away, like the Nueces, to get in some extra fishing before the main group arrives. I have been looking pretty hard at the Nueces. Thanks Edward for the link; the river crossings map is quite helpful.

Larry

Post 07 Mar 2018, 09:50 • #52 
Master Guide
Thanks for the links to the fly patterns, time to get to work

Post 15 Mar 2018, 12:48 • #53 
Master Guide
I can't seem to find the polar white brite blend, for the brushy creek streamer, any suggestions?
Substitute OK?

Post 15 Mar 2018, 21:19 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
Mike,
I couldn't find it either, but I got some Ice Fur, White from Hareline Dubbin that looks like it should work. You know, now that I spent all that time looking for the materials for that fly, while I was out fishing this afternoon I noticed I had several of the Brushy Creek Streamers in my fly box and I don't even remember where I got them. Probably picked them up at Living Waters Fly Shop when I was getting ready to fish Brushy Creek.

Post 20 Mar 2018, 13:11 • #55 
Guide
Rob and I are planning on meeting up with you guys.
We're still trying to decide whether we'll be there for the duration or shorter.

Edward

Post 20 Mar 2018, 13:17 • #56 
Master Guide
Larry, I did final;ly find some Caddis Fly Shop, I think

Post 20 Mar 2018, 18:34 • #57 
Glass Fanatic
Edward,
I was hoping you guys could make it. Welcome aboard. Hope you can come for the duration.

Larry

Post 22 Mar 2018, 20:23 • #58 
Glass Fanatic
OKMike, pearl crystal flash or senyo’s lazer dub works fine for the brushy creek streamer. Keep all the material super sparse, or it may turn upside down. It’s really just a clouser variation.

Post 26 Mar 2018, 07:57 • #59 
Master Guide
Thanks

Post 08 Apr 2018, 21:25 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
(4/07/18) - I had been looking forward to introducing my 15 year old grandson to flyfishing at this event. He has been looking forward to it and had invited a friend to come along. I spoke with his friend's father a couple of days ago and he thought it sounded like a great opportunity. Now, however, the boys may be remaining behind. In case anybody hasn't been keeping up with the news, Oklahoma teachers have been out on strike all the last week, and the walkout is not over quite yet. My daughter has spent most of the past week at the state Capitol, protesting the lack of school funding. My grandson's school was scheduled to end the spring term on May 11, and we were heading to Mason on the 15th. Now his school will probably have to add at least a week to the school term to make up for the lost time, meaning he will be in class while we are fishing. I am happy that my school teacher daughters are getting a raise, and the schools are finally going to be receiving better funding, but it sure puts a damper on my fishing trip. Oh well, I will just have to arrange a camping/fishing trip for them closer to home after school is out.

Larry

P.S. - (4/08/18) - I spoke too soon. I asked my daughter about the school term and they had enough "snow days" on the schedule to cover the term, so he will be able to go after all.

Post 21 Apr 2018, 20:35 • #61 
Glass Fanatic
Time is finally speeding up. Just 24 days 'til I leave for Mason. I need to get busy tying some more flies, cleaning reels and lines, organizing fly boxes, selecting the rods I plan to take, etc. Of course, somehow I need to squeeze in some time to get the garage cleaned out. Amazing how much junk can pile up in a garage over a period of nine years. It will be nice to get a good look at my canoe and kayak again. I know they are still there; I can see the ends poking out of the pile.

Larry

Post 26 Apr 2018, 20:26 • #62 
Glass Fanatic
My plans continue to evolve. I had spoken to my grandson a week ago to see if his friend is going with us. He had not called back. Tonight I sent a text reminding him there are only about two and a half weeks before we leave, and I need some answers. He replied that he might not be able to go. When I called him, he said the spring football schedule had just come out and he needs to attend practice the week of the trip. I had also talked to my buddy Kurt this afternoon. He had apparently forgot to check in with his wife concerning the trip. The truck needs tires badly, and he's reluctant to tow a camper on a long trip with worn tires. Since my grandson and his friend are now out of the picture, Kurt and I will come in my truck, leave the camper behind, and use my tent. I hope that is the last major change.

Larry

Post 10 May 2018, 10:09 • #63 
Glass Fanatic
My fly boxes are filled to overflowing; my fly lines have been cleaned and greased; only five days remain 'til I hit the road for Mason. I've only made a small dent in the mass of stuff piled up in my garage, but my motto is "any job worth doing will still be worth doing after I get back from fishing". The weather forecast for central Texas is looking good at this time, hope it stays that way through next week. I'm looking forward to meeting and fishing with some new people I have not met before.

Larry

Post 10 May 2018, 10:58 • #64 
Glass Fanatic
Canoeman1947 wrote:
My fly boxes are filled to overflowing; my fly lines have been cleaned and greased; only five days remain 'til I hit the road for Mason. I've only made a small dent in the mass of stuff piled up in my garage, but my motto is "any job worth doing will still be worth doing after I get back from fishing". The weather forecast for central Texas is looking good at this time, hope it stays that way through next week. I'm looking forward to meeting and fishing with some new people I have not met before.

Larry

Now there's a motto!

Post 15 May 2018, 12:01 • #65 
Guide
What are the plans for meeting up?

Unless work gets in the way, I'll be showing up in Mason on Friday afternoon.

Edward

Post 15 May 2018, 14:35 • #66 
Master Guide
I would show up at the campground....someone will be around i imagine, I think Larry is en route now

Post 17 May 2018, 10:36 • #67 
Guide
Changes in plans for me - I won't be able to make the meetup.
I hope that everyone has a good time.

Edward

Post 20 May 2018, 17:19 • #68 
Glass Fanatic
"The best-laid schemes o' mice and men gang aft-agley" (Robert Burns)

Of course, nothing ever works strictly according to plan, but this is ridiculous. Up to the time I left home for Mason, I was anticipating up to 20 people attending this shindig. I had been checking the weather and all seemed copacetic, with no more than perhaps 20% chance of rain on Tuesday. Kurt and I arrived Tuesday afternoon, to find Jim Ford of the Ultralight forum and his friend Jason waiting for us. After we put our tent up, Ralph Lee also of the UL forum arrived. The sky was hot and relatively clear. By evening time, clouds were rolling in. By 10:30 that night thunderstorms struck. By the next morning the Llano River appeared to be a roiling mass of chocolate milk, totally blown out. Jim and Jason struck out for Blanco River State Park, where the water was slightly off color but fishable. Kurt, Ralph, and I confidently set out for the Medina River, missed a turn, and found ourselves rapidly approaching Pedernales Falls State Park. The water was crystal clear, the temperature was high. Ralph and I went down into the canyon to fish the falls while Kurt headed downstream. Saw a lot of fish, mostly carp, including some real monsters, but no joy except for a small sunfish for Ralph. After an hour or so of zig-zagging back and forth trying to find our way over the huge karst ridges that comprise the Falls area, we finally made it downstream below the falls. Managed to catch a couple of sunfish while stumbling around on loose rocks and huge cypress roots on the banks. After surviving the climb back out of the canyon in what seemed like furnace temperatures, we dragged our weary carcasses back to camp. On Thursday morning we ventured to the South Llano River State Park where the water levels had dropped considerably and the water was only mildly off color. Again, Kurt and Ralph and I managed to eke out 1-2 small fish apiece, while Jim and Jason had better luck downstream. When we returned to camp, OKMike and his girlfriend were setting up camp. They joined us Friday morning as we all motored over to Blanco State Park, where the bottom was so slick below the lake, I was sure I was going to break a hip, but somehow managed to maintain my footing. Again, nobody caught more than 2 fish, though Mike did catch a miniature Guadalupe bass and a nice Rio Grand perch. Kurtis (bassackward) showed up Friday evening. Saturday morning we got up early, hoping to improve our luck and went to White Crossing on the Llano, where most of us were skunked in the off color high water.

So, out of the 20 people anticipated, 8 people showed up. Most of us had come in early, expecting good weather. I suppose the rest, who were coming in later in the week, had the opportunity to check out what the weather had done to us, and wisely cancelled their plans. We enjoyed visiting and dining with each other, but the fishing was really terrible. All in all, not an unusual fishing trip. I have organized and have attended some conclaves where many fish were caught, but this time we just had to enjoy the company. So therefore not a total loss. Hopefully the next planned outing will go better.

Larry

Post 21 May 2018, 20:23 • #69 
Glass Fanatic
It was good to catch up with all the folks from Oklahoma. Sorry the weather did not cooperate.

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply