It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:20

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Oct 2017, 11:12 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I recently returned from a gathering of ultralight flyfishing enthusiasts down in the Texas Hill Country. Had a great time. A few of us glass enthusiasts went to the Hill Country several years ago. In speaking with Keebranch a few nights ago, we discussed going back to the Hill Country. TXH2Oman (Aaron) had been talking about another Ultralight meetup in the Hill Country and has expressed interest in joining the two groups together for such an event. So far we seem to have at least five people interested. While not yet ready to go into the planning stage, how much interest is there in such a gathering? Any ideas on where in the Hill Country would be a good place to meet. Would like to get some input. We have a hardcore group of about six people that get together once or twice yearly, with an occasional new face showing up. Would like to see some more new faces to put together with the Usernames we see on here.

Larry

P.S. - **CAUTION** - If you decide you would like to join us, you may need to get a precautionary vaccination. Some of the ultralight guys actually fish with....GRAPHITE. I know, it's an ugly thought, but sometimes you just have to overlook some people's disgusting habits. ;)

Post 13 Oct 2017, 14:06 • #2 
Guide
Canoeman1947 wrote:
**CAUTION** - If you decide you would like to join us, you may need to get a precautionary vaccination. Some of the ultralight guys actually fish with....GRAPHITE. I know, it's an ugly thought, but sometimes you just have to overlook some people's disgusting habits. ;)

Bwahahaha. I imagine most of us can scare up some glass sticks if required. ;-) I think early June would be a mighty fine time to do that. If folks are not interested in doing Georgetown again, we could shoot for something exotic like South Llano State Park in Junction, which also puts a lovely, mostly unfished reach of the San Saba River near Menard within reach, as well as the upper Guadalupe. Just a thought.

Post 28 Oct 2017, 21:51 • #3 
Sport
I’ve fished the South Llano and it’s pretty great, count me as interested.

Post 29 Oct 2017, 09:08 • #4 
Piscator
If you guys are considering group lodging and possibly private water, I would talk to Shonto Ranch in Kerrville.
They have a series of impoundments on Turtle Creek, managed by a biologist, and it's also not far to the best warmwater on the Guadalupe, and possible side trip to the Pedernales headwaters.

Farther west, Chalk Bluff Park outside of Uvalde has good fishing cabin facilities and a very nice section of the Nueces.
Above the park there are impoundments, and you can rent kayaks there.
Below the park, the river spreads into fingers.
this pool has a blue hole connecting the surface water with the aquifer

Post 29 Oct 2017, 18:53 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the info, Ron; much appreciated.

Larry

Post 30 Oct 2017, 09:13 • #6 
Master Guide
I'm in

Post 30 Oct 2017, 10:54 • #7 
Master Guide
We could get real crazy and do a float on the Devil's River......

Post 30 Oct 2017, 16:19 • #8 
Master Guide
I've thought about Castel and the campground there, anyone have experience w that?

Post 30 Oct 2017, 21:30 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
It is my understanding that a person had better be in pretty good physical condition to run the Devil's River. Of course I am a splendid physical specimen, but I am concerned about some of the other guys' level of fitness. ;) We are still about 7 to 8 months away from setting out on this great adventure, so keep the ideas coming in.

Larry

Post 31 Oct 2017, 15:12 • #10 
Master Guide
I was just jesting about the devil's lol
I'm good for anything, I'm still wanting that guadaloupe bass and a rio grande cichlid though

Post 31 Oct 2017, 19:53 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I'm interested, but there's a fair chance I will have to go to the Bahamas around that time.

Post 31 Oct 2017, 21:24 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Curtis, you certainly have my sympathy. I would really hate to have to go to the Bahamas. :lol

Mike, I at least managed to catch a Guadaloupe Bass or two when we went to Mason, but after two trips to the Hill Country, I'm still coming up short on Rios. That's why I have to go back again.

Larry

Last edited by Canoeman1947 on 31 Oct 2017, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

Post 31 Oct 2017, 21:26 • #13 
Sport
A rio?! We can catch those in my backyard in Bee Cave.

Post 31 Oct 2017, 21:29 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Just rub it in. I may have to buy one just to pose for a picture with it.

Larry

Post 31 Oct 2017, 21:38 • #15 
Sport
Canoeman1947 wrote:
Just rub it in. I may have to buy one just to pose for a picture with it.

Larry

They’re really easy to catch with a little nymph that has a little flash. Even easier than some species of sunfish. But they do make a killer photo op. This thread has a pic from my best day of nymphing them up on Little Barton.

viewtopic.php?t=56728

Post 31 Oct 2017, 22:35 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Man I really like your backyard. Do you have room in your garage where I can pitch a cot. I don't need much room; I can put my clothes and rods/reels under the cot. :lol

Larry

Post 01 Nov 2017, 06:47 • #17 
Piscator
OKMike wrote:
I was just jesting about the devil's lol
I'm good for anything, I'm still wanting that guadaloupe bass and a rio grande cichlid though

Shonto Ranch has cichlids over 3 lbs.
It would be an easy day trip to Johnson Creek (or even Cibolo) for A-strain endemic Guadalupe bass.

Sabinal River (above Utopia), if somebody wants to hunt for a lodge with private access

Post 01 Nov 2017, 08:21 • #18 
Master Guide
cool

Post 26 Nov 2017, 14:12 • #19 
Guide
I have not been here since the late 1990s, but Foxfire cabins on the Sabinal River would lend itself to a conclave (on the river, nice accommodations, central meeting places).

I just took a look at Shonto Ranch online because it sounded appealing from the description above. I have to say -- and this is my opinion and I know not everyone shares it -- that I believe high fence ranches rob us of a public resource, interrupt gene flow, and are generally bad for wildlife. Hunting in Texas generally does not conform to traditional ideas of fair chase, with our feeders and food plots. I could go on about deer breeding programs, managed-land deer permits, and exotics. But I won't.

As an alternative -- and if folks are most interested in Rio Grande cichlids and Guadalupe bass -- Central Texas, using Georgetown, Austin, or one of the nearby state parks (Pedernales Falls SP, Colorado Bend SP, Blanco SP) are all options. The Lampasas River, which I've been exploring lately, is nearly unfished, can accomodate three or four walking anglers easily, and has some easy access about 25 minutes from Georgetown -- also incredible diversity (Guadalupe bass, LMB, carp, white bass, freshwater drum, channel cats). Pure strain Guadalupe bass in Brushy Creek, parts of the San Gabriel River, and in Onion Creek. Rios in the Gabe, Brushy and Onion.

Also of note: Living Waters Fly Fishing is a world-class shop in Round Rock, and The Well (60+ whiskeys) in Georgetown is slated to be open by then. Chris Barclay is rumored to be coming to the Round Rock area in early June. ;-)

A Brushy Creek Guadalupe bass from last week (carbon rod, but a 2 wt!) and a Rio from Onion Creek earlier in the year shown below.

I'll talk to Larry this afternoon (after he is done preaching and going to Luby's, ya know), see what he has in mind!

Onion Creek LMB (oh, hey ... a glass rod!):

Onion Creek Guadalupe bass:

Lampasas River greenie:

Lampasas River channel cat:

Brushy Creek scenery (last week):

San Gabriel River scenery:

Lampasas scenery:

Onion Creek scenery:

All of the above within a 60-mile radius, most much closer. Plus, Orvis company store in Austin, another fly shop (Sportsman's Finest) on the southwest side of town, and both Cabelas and Bass Pro. And two FFI clubs for local participation.

Post 26 Nov 2017, 15:06 • #20 
Guide
But never mind all that. Larry wants to go to the Llano. LOL. Sounds good to me!

Post 26 Nov 2017, 16:52 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Actually I'm quite open to suggestions regarding time and place. There may be as many as 12-15 people showing up from comments I've received, so we need to find places to fish that will accomodate that many at once, or where we can split up and hit different places nearby. I know that some of the rivers offer limited access or you need a water craft of some sort, which not everybody has. In 2015 we camped at the city park in Mason and fished the Llano and San Saba. Good access at both rivers. I and a couple of other guys plan to spend the week. Mason or Junction are fairly central locations in the Hill Country and are within an hour to an hour and a half from the Guadalupe, the Nueces, the Frio and the Sabinal. By early to mid-May school is letting out which means the parks will be full of campers and some of the rivers will be filling up with tubers and kayakers, so I would think some time in April would be good. Suggestions, comments, criticisms all welcome at this time.

Larry

Post 26 Nov 2017, 18:57 • #22 
Piscator
there's awesome sight-fishing on the Sabinal

I can also recommend searching around Hunt (Guadalupe forks) for places.
Confluence of the forks - this is so close to the Hwy, and almost nobody wades here.
I've taken groups of 10 here, and everybody caught fish.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48447 (ok, this was a group of 5)
This will also give access to Johnson Creek and an A-strain of endemic Guadalupe bass.
The impoundments on the forks have some killer float-tube water.
The Pedernales headwaters are only a half-hour away.

tubers and kayakers don't fill up the remote hill country rivers and creeks - only below Canyon Dam

you guys seem to like the sun. my hill country is cypress tunnels.

I guess plan where you want. If a group wants to meet me early one morning at Hunt Crossing, I'll guide the confluence of the Guadalupe forks. Bring your wading staff.
To get down to the confluence, we have to cross chest-deep at the first tailout.

Post 26 Nov 2017, 19:57 • #23 
Guide
Bulldog, those sunnies are monsters! Are you sure it's safe to get in the water there?

Post 26 Nov 2017, 20:04 • #24 
Guide
Larry, I think Junction -- South Llano River SP -- is a good bet, and concur with your assessment of the waters and nearby options. Though the San Saba has been having some issues lately between Menard and Mason due to illegal pumping. The section above Menard, below Fort McKavett, is my favorite and should be fine.

And as I mentioned when we spoke, the South Llano is chock-full of pure-strain Guadalupe bass again. There are some potential state records in there (but there are some potential state records in Brushy, the Gabe and the Colorado as well) per the fisheries biologists who electrofish the area from time to time..

Post 26 Nov 2017, 21:22 • #25 
Piscator
actually, cypress tunnels are where endemic bass are native - the other remaining A-strain is at Herff Springs in Cibolo Creek.
I caught them in the Guadalupe before state-stocked smallmouth ever invaded.
the state continues to stock them westward to "save the species"
Most recently, the state stocked white bass in the upper Guadalupe, where they can get into Johnson Creek and prey on that A-strain.
this hen would have been the state record, but I wasn't willing to kill her for a liver biopsy
I released her back into Mueller falls

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 26 Nov 2017, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply