It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:32

New Topic Add Reply
Proud new member
Post 04 Oct 2017, 10:32 • #1 
Guide
Fellow Fiberglassers,

This is the first "forum" I've ever joined--I've always admired it as an outsider, so now I've taken the simple steps to join in.

I've been fishing glass for over fifty years. Some (but not all!) of my rods include Hardy "Tarantino" from the 70's, a 5' Fenwick from the same era, an early white Shakespeare Howald 1290 I found unused at a tag sale for $10, a custom Steffen, those remarkably cheap but lively CGR's from Cabela's, and one I just ordered from Len Codella: a Heddon Pal Mark IV with a wild spring-action reel seat. Why did I order it? That was my first fly rod back in the 60's, long since lost, and I feel like I've reconnected with an old friend.

I'm looking forward to taking part in discussions in the future. Oh yes--I write about fly fishing. My latest book will be out later in the autumn from Skyhorse Press in New York: "A River Trilogy; A Fly-Fishing Life," collecting my three books on the sport, Vermont River, Upland Stream, One River More, into one volume.

Thanks!

WD Wetherell

Re: Proud new member
Post 04 Oct 2017, 11:51 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome WD68!

Post 04 Oct 2017, 13:26 • #3 
Guide
To go with my first posting. I'd be curious to know. Has anyone ever bought a fiberglass rod solely because they were in love with the color of its blank? I notice Orvis and the other big shops are bragging about their all-black blanks, which, I'm guessing, are designed to appeal to young people at a subliminal or not-so-subliminal level: black clothes are what they favor, so why not fly rods? Me, I'm tempted when I see those vivid blues and reds Swift is offering out of New Zealand, yet feel some resistance at letting color tempt me.

What's been other forum member's experiences here? Anyone ever fall for a rod's color?

WD68

Post 04 Oct 2017, 14:32 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
First, welcome aboard! I shall look for your books.

While I've never bought a rod or blank solely on color, it's definitely a factor. I'm partial to the earth tones of brown, green, yellow, and red. I'm not attracted to blue, though I have blue rods. This question has come up before:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=11949#p75457

Some board members have posted polls. Board member mdraft, who operates a rod-building supply house, did a market survey about color on the board. You can search the board for "Color" etc. and find other threads.

To me, color is important, just not as important as performance characteristics.

Glad you're on the board. This was my first to join as well, and I've greatly enjoyed reading and making posts here.

Post 04 Oct 2017, 15:13 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome to the forum WD!

To answer your question, no, I have never bought a blank or a rod based solely on its color. I have never really let color be a factor in my decision to buy a rod either, unless I was ordering a blank and had to pick a color. I don't know about others, but I almost forget everything about the rod except for it's abilities when I'm fishing. I don't notice the color, the appointments, or even the reel. Just whether or not it's doing the job it's supposed to be: delivering the fly accurately, appropriately, and in an enjoyable manner.

That said, I have been known to fuss a great deal OFF the water about how a rod looks! Guess when you can't be fishing you get caught up in too much of the superfluous details...

Post 04 Oct 2017, 20:18 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
welcome wd68. looking forward to your joining our forum discussions. i'd guess from your post that you are a northeasterner... i am. it's a great place for trout fishing.

you hit the nail on the head. today's glass is offered in a rainbow of colors. i dont pay attention to blank color, but prefer traditional browns and yellows. is orvis making black glass blanks?

Post 05 Oct 2017, 04:50 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
We're the ones who get to be proud of members like yourself--fine people from all around the country and the world, fine people from all walks of life who share a common interest and whose contributions make members proud of the site. Earthtone colors for fiberglass rods, best viewed in various conditions of natural light. The fly rod is not the thing to be looking at anyway when fishing, so gaudy colors/cosmetics are a transient distraction.

Post 05 Oct 2017, 10:27 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I sorta did - purchased a Fred Paddock Lemon Drop because I really like the subtle yellow color of the blank. Of course I did also know it was a very nice taper and fine fishing tool. I tend to like brown for the most part, don't know why, maybe because I'm older now and mellowing out. In my youth, it was graphite, and black - I understand their marketing approach

New Topic Add Reply