It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:13

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Sep 2017, 20:50 • #1 
Shucks, I did an inventory and found more fiberglass fly rods than I thought I had. There was even a couple spinning rods (pack version in the tally).

Home is the Kern River Valley in California. For reference, the closest water is 1.2 miles from the house and half the distance is dirt roads.

I have an assortment of fiberglass fly rods and am looking for suggestions on altering the guide spacing so the rods fish better. I have no qualms about rewrapping all the guides for better rod action.

Hello!

If you happen to be fishing the Kern, say Hello!

Ants

Post 18 Sep 2017, 21:00 • #2 
Master Guide
Welcome aboard Ants.

Post 19 Sep 2017, 10:24 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Ants! Sounds like you live and fish in a great place.

Post 19 Sep 2017, 16:41 • #4 
Master Guide
Welcome! Like to hear about your fishing sometime. Wikipedia shows the area pretty dry looking.

Post 19 Sep 2017, 17:40 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome -- when I hear "Kern RIver" it makes me think of Merle Haggard -- one of my favorites!

So, what glass fly rods are you looking to re-wrap? Would love to hear more; see photos of your stash.

Post 19 Sep 2017, 19:24 • #6 
Master Guide
picketpin52 wrote:
Welcome -- when I hear "Kern RIver" it makes me think of Merle Haggard -- one of my favorites!

So, what glass fly rods are you looking to re-wrap? Would love to hear more; see photos of your stash.

+1 on Merle. His final song "Kern River Blues" was a haunting and fitting end.

Post 21 Sep 2017, 13:41 • #7 
As far as being dry, Wikipedia probably shows an annual (local) rainfall of about 9-10 inches. I guess Houston gets more than that in about 15 minutes. The water that flows through the Kern system begins as snowmelt around Mt Whitney. Flows can vary from about 150 cfs to 20,00 cfs or so.

The upper Kern is mostly a freestone, Lake Isabella is the Corps of Engineers regulating mechanism, and the Lower Kern is regulated. In addition, there are numerous tributaries and creeks, so fishing options are plentiful.

As for glass rods, the first two will come with General descriptions only. My former hosting site has requested that I upgrade my service from free to an expensive level of service. Photo posting will be delayed until that get resolved.

The rod collection includes fiberglass, graphite, bamboo, nylon, and even metal rods. Details will be forthcoming.

The fiberglass rods are both two piece and 8 ft long, both burgundy red blanks.
Garcia Conolon 2454, 8 ft dry fly action with 5 guides and DL seat.
Wright McGil Green Hornet 2GH with 6 guides.

The only fiberglass rod I built from a blank was a one piece blank from the Neal Taylor estate. The blank is brown and I built it with 10 guides. The length is 8' 3". I have the option to cut the blank and insert an internal ferrule, but have decided to leave ot one piece for now.

The L L Bean labeled rod is 8 1/2 feet, 2 piece on a red blank. The rod has 8 guides. The reel seat is lime anodized DL seat with green thread wraps. There is no model designation, but the rod sock shows 8 1/2 feet and 5 oz.

The Wright McGill build includes two. The larger is a Granger Double-Duty, no.M8599, line size 10 with 8 guides, a yellow blank and a fighting butt. The lighter one is a W-M Champion 8 1/2 foot, 2 piece, no 3A-8 1/2. It has the Eagle Claw medallion, and 7 guides on a tan blank.

The Horrocks - Ibottson includes two also. The H & I Red Wizard #1262 is an 8 foot, 2 piece on a red (of course) blank. It was built with 6 guides and a red anodized DL reel seat and black and gold thread. Some of the wraps could use some attention. This is the lightest rod of the collection.

The H & I Thunderbird Supreme H is a 1458 on an 8 foot 2 piece blank. The 8 guides are supplemented with a decal that shows ' Tournament Taper Rigid Butt Sensitive Tip. The brown anodized DL reel seat includes a second locking nut.

I am sure if someone suggests a better forum topic to include information, then it can be easily moved.

Then, there are the spin rods and one glass ocean fishing rod.

Photos later.
Ants

Post 25 Sep 2017, 21:52 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
There is not a lot of information on this forum concerning the H-I rods. I have a 1953 edition of the Model 1200 Queen Elizabeth which casts a 3 weight pretty well, and I also have a Mohawk 8' 6 weight which casts a 6 weight line with good accuracy. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember the Thunderbird series was built on an S-glass blank. Does that rod feel lighter than the others?

Larry

Post 28 Sep 2017, 21:37 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome Ants!

New Topic Add Reply