It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:09

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Sep 2017, 16:59 • #1 
Sport
First off, I'd like to say thanks to everyone on this forum for supplying such a wealth of information. It has helped make my journey from Graphite to Fiberglass quite enjoyable.

I lean more on the thrifty side of fly fishing and my current glass rods are a CGR 2wt, Prime 4 wt, CGR 5/6, FF80, and a recently purchased Heddon Mark III 8405 (this rod looks like it has never seen the light of day. I'll try and get some pics of it in the next few days to post). The bug has me pretty well so the quiver will definitely be expanding.

I'll fish for anything from trout to bowfin to pike to sunfish and mostly in WI, IL, & IN.

Looking forward to sharing some of my adventures and reading about yours.

-Joe

Post 18 Sep 2017, 21:02 • #2 
Master Guide
Welcome Joe!

Post 19 Sep 2017, 10:26 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, JRG88! Sounds like you have a great start on a glass addiction.

Post 19 Sep 2017, 12:34 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
You get bowfin up there?? I caught some in the Okefenokee Swamp last year and they are a gas---weird, powerful, take a fly...

Post 19 Sep 2017, 13:42 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Glad we could help convert you from graphite to glass. Now we'll just have to fix any nasty Cubs/Bears preference you might have. ;)

Post 19 Sep 2017, 16:37 • #6 
Master Guide
Welcome! curious about your fishing. Looks like you travel, at least to adjacent states but wondering if Chicago has any fishing in the metro area.

Post 20 Sep 2017, 09:12 • #7 
Sport
Very true about bowfin. Such an aggressive, mean spirited fish, which makes them a heck of a target. I've never seen them around Chicago, but I fish a lot of creeks near the Terre Haute, IN area and between them and the gar, it is quite a hoot.

Took some pictures of the new Heddon Mark III last night. Does anyone have any recommendations for photo hosting since the photobucket incident? Thanks.

Post 20 Sep 2017, 10:00 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Postimage seems pretty good, better than photobomb ever was.

Post 22 Oct 2017, 19:48 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
JoeFriday wrote:
Glad we could help convert you from graphite to glass. Now we'll just have to fix any nasty Cubs/Bears preference you might have. ;)

White Sox are okay?

Post 22 Oct 2017, 19:53 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
JimR wrote:
Welcome! curious about your fishing. Looks like you travel, at least to adjacent states but wondering if Chicago has any fishing in the metro area.

Chicago has some decent fishing such as the DuPage, Fox, and Kankakee Rivers for smallmouth bass. The Chicago lakefront for perch and smallmouth bass and in season trout and salmon. If you are adventurous there subdivision retention ponds that have some good bass and bluegill fishing.

Post 23 Oct 2017, 10:41 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
softhackle wrote:
JimR wrote:

Chicago has some decent fishing such as the DuPage, Fox, and Kankakee Rivers for smallmouth bass. The Chicago lakefront for perch and smallmouth bass and in season trout and salmon. If you are adventurous there subdivision retention ponds that have some good bass and bluegill fishing.

That's right. Some years back, I was in Chicago on business. Driving near the lake shore, I saw a guy carrying a salmon that reached from his waist almost to the ground.

Post 23 Oct 2017, 13:02 • #12 
Sport
There's almost nothing that can get me to venture towards the city. Maybe a concert, or family gathering, but for the most part I run as far away as Chicago as possible. I do like fishing the no name ponds and the DuPage River during the weekdays. As you mentioned, some good smallies to be had. My wife studies Blanding's Turtles in Lake County so I'll often tag along with her and fish anything that looks remotely fishy. She just told me the other day that there are a lot of grass pickerel that inhabit her turtle water so that's my next species goal. They average about 8"-10" so they should be a blast on some lighter glass rods.

New Topic Add Reply