It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:54

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Sep 2017, 20:52 • #1 
Guide
A Kickstarter for the Ripple Fly Box.
Uses silicon channels running the length of the box to grip the flies. 4 days to go.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/37 ... ishing-box

Post 16 Sep 2017, 21:59 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Looks good! Here's wishing you a great opening.

Post 21 Sep 2017, 09:29 • #3 
Sport
I saw this on TFM and was mystified why it was being made / hyped. Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see how this is an improvement over Tacky boxes. Specifically, look at how deep (tall) these ripple boxes are. The ripples are space inefficient (very deep), compared to a flat layer of silicon with slits cut into it. Are these new boxes just meant for larger flies (big streamers, steelhead size dries, etc.)? I guess for those kinds of flies (which I rarely use / carry), it would work. But, otherwise it just seems like a waste of vest space to me. Without the fixed offset small slits (a la Tacky) there is "complete freedom" to put flies anywhere on the long axis, to be sure, but that wouldn't make up for the thickness of the box (wasted vertical space) and the in-line only placement of flies (wasted width-space) for me at least.

It would seem the KS "market" would agree since they way missed their funding goal by yesterday's deadline (barely over 1/3rd of their target, yikes!).

EDIT: Grammar.

Post 21 Sep 2017, 10:47 • #4 
Master Guide
From what I saw I kind of like it. Never used a tacky box myself they are too expensive for me I fish mostly streamers and top water bass stuff and it looks like it would be good for that

Post 21 Sep 2017, 11:27 • #5 
Sport
MikeW,

I'm sure for some anglers they'd have some usefulness. For my trout fishing and emphasis on not having a vest bulging to the gills (pun intended), not so much. (I've found the Orvis-Tacky box to be wonderful for wets / nymphs. It's not cheap at $35, but it holds 336 flies, albeit not monster stoneflies, and it takes up very little space in the vest.) But, if price is a concern ... these ripple boxes have a recommended retail price of 27 pounds (approx. $37 at current exchange rates) per box, so they aren't going to be any cheaper than Tacky boxes if they ever make it to retail distribution.

New Topic Add Reply