It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:19

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Jun 2017, 13:42 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Wow!

Post 14 Jun 2017, 17:01 • #27 
Master Guide
Wow, is that rainbow lake run? I've been wanting to get out that way for the hex hatch. I need to suck it up and just go.

Post 14 Jun 2017, 17:18 • #28 
Master Guide
novisor12 wrote:
Wow, is that rainbow lake run? I've been wanting to get out that way for the hex hatch. I need to suck it up and just go.

No, the area this was caught on the Au Sable has no access to Lake Huron.

Post 16 Jun 2017, 12:51 • #29 
Master Guide
A bit of an update.
I forgot to mention that when Tom and Alexis Broadhead sent me the fly lines that they donated for our casting competition that they sent a couple of "406 Fly Lines" hats too. These hats will be awarded to the second and third place finishers along with the other prizes that come with their respective finish.

I came up with the time to tie up a bunch of glo-bugs using chartreuse Mcflyfoam and then I cut off the back portion of the hook. I've cast them and they work very well, and will be used in the casting competition. Each participant will be given a couple to tie on their leaders Sunday morning prior to the competition.
I will be leaving home Monday morning and will not be able to answer any questions you may have after that leading up to the first day of the gathering on Saturday.
I'm looking forward to another great time this year, seeing old friends and meeting new ones too.
See you there !!!.
Mark.

Post 28 Jun 2017, 14:37 • #30 
Guide
Hate to be the first to post here after the gathering, but I wanted to thank all who helped make it happen, mostly Mark, but also Tom and Steve. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Great guys, great rods, fun BSing all afternoon. Thanks to Fred and Mike for bringing their rods. I was able to cast four great short 4 or 5 weights, Fred's 7' five weight, Chris Barclays 75p, Mike's 7'2" parabolic(4 or 5?) and the new Yamame 7'2" five weight. All of them were excellent rods for small stream pleasure. I loved the 8'3" seven weight Steffen Brothers rod that Dave brought. Great feel, but could launch longer casts. Fred Paddock's rods with the new hardware and new yellow color were great looking.
The fishing wasn't great, I was only able to stay for an afternoon, and I had to drive 3 hours each way, and it was still well worth it. I missed watching the casting competition, can't wait to see the results, it's always a highlight to see. I'm contemplating which rods I need to buy next, and looking forward to the gathering next year. Thanks again Mark, and everyone else that made it. John

Post 28 Jun 2017, 15:49 • #31 
Sport
Crusty - did you get my PM?

Jim

Post 28 Jun 2017, 17:22 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Yup, I responded with an email I thought. I'll repeat.

Post 28 Jun 2017, 18:28 • #33 
Sport
Hmmm... didn't get it.

Post 28 Jun 2017, 18:57 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Please try one more time. I sent it to your address with a new email this time instead of replies. I've been having issues with Yahoo Mail lately.

Dave Staley

Post 29 Jun 2017, 10:12 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Just got back from long trip through the midwest and up to Michigan -- and especially Michi-Glass-N-Grass. Great event! It was especially good to meet people on the board, see the rods, and watch the terrific casters in the competition. Heartfelt thanks to Mark for organizing, Steve for hosting, and all for spending time to answer questions, cast my rods, and share knowledge. I could give names, but it was pretty much everyone who gave of their time and friendly help.

I wasn't able to cast very well, due to recent surgery on my right shoulder, but managed to wave a few rods with my left hand, including my first crack at a bamboo rod. Have been focused on glass to this point, but hmmm...

Our visit was capped off Sunday evening by a chance meeting with Dave and Pete down at Gates Lodge. We had dinner and some great conversation.

This is a wonderful event, and I strongly recommend attending. The fishing might not have been great this time, water was up and the fish mostly down, and I couldn't fish at all due to the shoulder. But, I saw some of the best-looking trout water anywhere.

(should have said) My wife, Carol, enjoyed the clave as well. She doesn't fish, but as those attending now know, she's a trooper. Also, she now has a greater appreciation for my hobby/passion/addiction. Especially, she now understands that a dozen and a half rods is not an especially large number to own!

Thanks again to all. I'm already thinking about a return trip.

Best regards,
Charlie

Post 29 Jun 2017, 20:47 • #36 
Master Guide
Once again a fine gathering of those who admire the qualities of a fiberglass fly rod :

Vintage glass in excellent condition well represented. A portion of the collection of one member shown below.

Some of the McFarland Rod Company rods as well as prototypes. Featured two different green colored glass rods (one shown) the green Perpetual Glass seven was being cast at this time, a glass and graphite combo rod (see yellow wraps) in four and five weight was super cool and a number of other options available from Mike. Note the heavy yellow rod,10 weight fly rod in fiberglass.

The Paddock Fly Rods were my favorite from last year and I like them even better now in the new yellow color along with Fred's well made in shop hardware. I have two of rods from the first signed series of these tapers and would enjoy a third someday. The photograph two below is another portion of Fred's collection he brought to share. Quality gear.

A number of forum members provided fly rods to test cast both modern and vintage. The fly reels represented were also quite impressive.

This photograph shows mostly McKellip built fly rods. The stacked leather handle is really interesting.

Other fly rods available to cast and enjoy.

The end. A McKellip reel seat on a fine bamboo fly rod. So many other fly rods represented and little time for me to cast and take photographs. Will make a another post on soon on three of the parabolic fly rods not shown in this post which we tested.

A pleasure seeing so many of the regulars and meeting nice people such as Charlie and Carol for the first time.

Last edited by Grouse on 01 Jul 2017, 09:40, edited 2 times in total.

Post 30 Jun 2017, 05:31 • #37 
Guide
What the heck is going on with photos?

Post 30 Jun 2017, 06:22 • #38 
Master Guide
Looks like Photobucket wants to hold us hostage. Any decent alternatives welcome. Time to find a new source for hosting photographs.

Post 30 Jun 2017, 10:04 • #39 
Master Guide
When I went to Photobucket.com/P500 They try to invoice me for $399,00 US.... must be a joke

Post 30 Jun 2017, 10:45 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
The last time Photobucket puked I went to Flickr which has worked well for me for more than a few years now.

Post 30 Jun 2017, 11:34 • #41 
Master Guide
These are the only pictures that I have from the gathering. The member who usually takes a lot couldn't come because his house was flooded from heavy rain. The area where we have the gathering got it's share too. The rivers were up, it stayed very cool for the duration of the time that I was there and subsequently the fishing wasn't the best. Attendance was not what I expected for what I believe were a number of reasons. What I didn't expect was that my appeal made toward guys who are inclined more toward bamboo didn't respond at all. Not even one !! The guys who are bamboo rod makers who attended Grayrock who later came here were the usual ones who attend, and with great appreciation on my part, but there were no newcomers from the guys who are primarily bamboo collectors and fisherman. I have my theories as to why there was no response from them, but I won't "air" it here. By the lack of response on the "Classic Forum" when I made the posting for this gathering, I suspected that it would be the way it ended. In the future there will be no more appeal toward that group. It will remain primarily a glass gathering.
It's not to say that we didn't have fun though, it was a lot of fun!! There were a few newcomers who said that they thoroughly enjoyed themselves and are interested in coming back in addition to the "regulars' who I believe wouldn't miss it for the world.
I will post again the results to the casting competition when I can find a little more time.
Mark McKellip

Post 02 Jul 2017, 06:05 • #42 
Guide
Spent quite a bit of time with Charlie and his wife. Crusty and I had dinner with them at Gates. It was a blast.

Post 02 Jul 2017, 10:38 • #43 
Master Guide
Once again a fine gathering for those who enjoy the qualities of a fiberglass fly rod:

Vintage glass in excellent condition well represented. A portion of the one collection of one member shown below.

Vintage Heddon made in Michigan glass looking a fine as the day it left the shop.

Some of the McFarland Rod Company Glass rods as well as prototypes. Note the two different green colored rods with the 8' 6" seven weight green Perpetual to the right in this photograph. See also the yellow tape on the glass & graphite blend prototype. Very nice feel to the four weight prototype and others preferred the five weight more of this unique rod.

Note the big yellow 10 weight glass rod on the left of the McFarland rack :

Paddock fly rods were my favorite from the show last year and they are even better in yellow with custom hardware.

Some of the other quality fly rods brought to enjoy by Fred:

Fantastic reels on vintage and modern glass rods:

Brief shot of the "Pure" by Nico taking a quick rest on the rack with other rods.

McKellip Rods showing a number of grip options with the leather grip being especially attractive.

The reel seat end of a fine McKellip Brothers fly rod with signature reel seat hardware.

My original post of this thread was disrupted due to Photobucket Inc. First attempt to post on new service.

Limited number of photographs this year due to other obligations and much test casting. The rods shown are a small sample of what was on hand for the event. Looking forward to this event next year.

Post 02 Jul 2017, 10:43 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
Really great photos Ken! Thanks for posting.

Post 02 Jul 2017, 11:12 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
pmagas wrote:
Spent quite a bit of time with Charlie and his wife. Crusty and I had dinner with them at Gates. It was a blast.

Yes, it was!

Thanks to Ken, Mark, et al for great photos and reports. Great people, great rods, and a great time!

Regards,
Charlie

Post 02 Jul 2017, 22:07 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a fantastic time with a bunch of great guys and rods in attendance.
Hopefully I'll be able to make it next year.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply