It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:41

New Topic Add Reply
Watercraft
Post 25 Feb 2017, 22:23 • #1 
I have been wanting to get either a personal pontoon or kayak. Which would be your choice? I will be fishing ponds and small lakes.

Re: Watercraft
Post 26 Feb 2017, 01:03 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I had a pontoon with a frame, which had more places to snag a line than a torn bush. It would not fit in the back of a Tacoma, nor could I lift it solo onto the roof rack.

Replaced it with a frameless Fish Cat Scout, and fished happily ever after.

http://www.outcastboats.com/frameless/2 ... -scout.asp

Post 26 Feb 2017, 18:52 • #3 
I have been looking at the bucks bag bronco extreme 11' I like the idea of being able to use a trolling motor on bigger bodies of water.

Post 26 Feb 2017, 21:43 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I used to have a personal pontoon craft. It was OK going down a river, but I tried to use it one day on a small lake when the other guys were using kayaks. It was so slow moving and as soon as I ran into a slight headwind I knew I was going nowhere. I now have a Native Ultimate 12' kayak which is much better. There are many nice fishing kayaks available and not all of them are expensive. You can't deflate them and carry them in your trunk, but most are not all that heavy and can be cartopped pretty easily. Some of the new kayaks are so stable you can also stand up to cast, which offers some advantage.

Larry

Post 26 Feb 2017, 22:39 • #5 
I have a Jackson Coosa HD that I use a lot. Easy to stand in and cast. I'm 5'11 and weigh 230lbs and can stand in the seat to get some extra height with no problem.

I also have a 14' Rouge River Canoe that I've put oar locks on if I'm by myself. This one is easy to stand in too.

Never have used a pontoon, so not much help there.

Post 27 Feb 2017, 05:58 • #6 
Master Guide
I have 3 small boats and float tubes. All have their pro's and cons.

Canoe is an old Sports Pal 10', similar to Raddison brand, except it is heavy, close to 100 pounds. Wind will take it all over the place, so it is my last choice to fish out of.

Old Perception Kayak, sit way to low in this relic, the new ones like Jackson, Native, home runs in my book, I have several friends that own them, these new sit on tops with a wide transom and tunnel hull are the way to go if you like kayaks and don't mind them being a bit heavy compared to other styles of kayak.

Dave Scadden 2 and 3 person framed rafts, great for running rivers, but like another gent posted above, line gets caught on everything if your not paying attention. Casting decks on them are great, mine weights about 100 pounds, so if I have clients on float trips, I can move the boat on and off truck on my own.

Float tubes, have 2 of these, newer models that sit up higher, backside is out of the water, I really like it if I am going to fish a small pond.

Seems to me, the new fishing models of the kayaks are the way to go. I have fished out of a friends Jackson, its very stable and you can stand in it.

Post 27 Feb 2017, 07:06 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Wife and I use these and are happy with them. Friend of ours took his from Virginia to British Columbia via plane/helicopter to fish the Dean River for steelhead. He was impressed.
http://www.outcastboats.com/frameless/osgcommander.asp

Post 27 Feb 2017, 11:34 • #8 
Piscator
I would vote for one of the newer, wider sit-up high kayaks.
They also have a sit low option if you want to take them out in big wind or moving water.
You can outfit them with a trolling motor if you want (check state registration rules).

We use boats for wadefishing taxis on the coast flats, so a sit-low, big wind kayak is what we choose.
(this is a windy no motors headwaters reservoir where we paddle for exercise)

Pontoon boats are probably the best choice for fly-in and drop-off floats.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 27 Feb 2017, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Feb 2017, 11:35 • #9 
Master Guide
Advantages of a tube or pontoon is the ability to paddle w your feet while fishing, to maintain position. Here in OK the wind is always blowing and it is very easy to set sail across the pond or lake. Harder to move long distances in a tube or pontoon, so trade offs are involved.

Post 27 Feb 2017, 11:39 • #10 
Piscator
Top dollar, but Hobie boats give you a lot of options including foot paddle, and outrigger with sail.

Post 27 Feb 2017, 13:27 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I would suggest looking at a fly craft as well. My brother has one, easy to transport and set up. Gets us into a lot of water that would be tough otherwise.

New Topic Add Reply