It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:25

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Apr 2013, 22:38 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I hope this post is not out of line, but we had a serious habitual scammer uncovered who has been making the rounds on various flyfishing sites falsely claiming disabled veteran status, and using that status to make money. So watch out for [sorry I had to delete the name - Tom] who goes by the user name NewTyer1 on Washington Flyfishing and possibly other forums. More sick details here: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/for. .. ost-828651

[other possible usernames; smartin and vatransplant - Tom]

Post 25 Apr 2013, 23:09 • #2 
Guide
He made a committment on one of the other forums to have a rod build for a gentleman that was down on his luck. He said he would supply all the components if someone would build it. I offered to take on the task of the build and he said he would send the components. After numerous replies that money was tight (over the course of several months) I offered to send him the funds to ship them. Then for some reason I felt that something just wasn't right and did not do it. Instead I contacted the individual it is for and opted to do the whole thing on my own. With my busy schedule and work load, it will finally be completed this weekend and hopfully on the way to him next tuesday. This is considerably a different build than what it started out to be especially component wise. Lemke seat, stabilized insert, snake universal guides, and one of my Goldeneye 7'6" 4pc 3wt graphite blanks.. Don't know the particulars, but I believe he was banned from that particular forum also.

Post 26 Apr 2013, 00:10 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Every year I give away several fly reels with backing , line and leaders and also the occasional fly rod to people in need. I bought his "poor veteran" sob story and sent him a fly reel after reading his post on the classic fly rod forum. He never thanked me but he had the gall to complain about the reel on a forum. He sold it some time later. He is a sick man and yes he is a scammer.

Post 26 Apr 2013, 00:27 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
He needs to be banned from every fly fishing site.

Post 26 Apr 2013, 03:51 • #5 
Master Guide
Not sure if it is proper protocol to name names on a public forum like this but "handles" would seem appropriate enough. I too have had some dealings with said individual, and fortunately smelled the proverbial 'rotten fish' and did not complete any of the proposed transactions. Same individual goes by Bamboo_1 over on the Classic Fly Rod Forum, NewTyer1 over on FAOL board and VAtransplant here!

Post 26 Apr 2013, 06:19 • #6 
Master Guide
I'm familiar with this guy. A series of posts on PA Fly Fish led to a group of guys taking up a collection for him to visit his daughter in Massachusetts. A lot of money came in from guys wanting to help out a fellow angler. Something wasn't right though and he stated that his daughter didn't want to see him. I'm not sure what happened with all of the money but a lot of guys were very upset with the entire event.

Post 26 Apr 2013, 12:34 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the heads up guys. In my opinion this absolutely
The right protocol. Scammers ought be exposed for what they are
This board works when there is trust and honesty among
Members. We all need to watch out for one another-- in effect
Self-policing as needed. Lugan, I applaud you for removing
This "threat", to put it politely.

Post 26 Apr 2013, 16:46 • #8 
Master Guide
I tangled with him before. Never again. Not to be trusted.

Jb

Post 26 Apr 2013, 17:13 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I am blown away how many people on several forums this loser has scammed. I've given away several reels since my experience with this creep. He cannot spoil my party.

Post 26 Apr 2013, 20:32 • #10 
Master Guide
Maybe to bring a positive spin to this saga:

Rockthief: "He cannot spoil my party."

Keep it up brother. Its always good to see folks who give back like you.

Greg

Post 26 Apr 2013, 20:49 • #11 
Administrator
For what it is worth, newtyer1 (aka, smartin, aka vatransplant) is no longer a forum member. I'll do my best to ensure he doesn't register again with a different username or e-mail.

I'm very sorry that he took advantage of people here. Whether the sob story is true or not doesn't matter. He played it as a scam. Many people here, and on other forums, tried to help him out. I'm proud of their generosity. As always, our forum members have the right stuff.

I am going to remove newtyer1's real name from these posts. While I don't really think he deserves that courtesy, I don't want anyone exposed to a frivolous libel charge.

Tom

Post 26 Apr 2013, 21:25 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Nice going their Tom. I approve 100%.

Post 29 Apr 2013, 15:20 • #13 
Master Guide
I had a run-in with this loser also. Gratefully there was not a lot of money involved.

Tom, I don't know if you have the capability but banning this joker by his ISP number
will keep him from at least registering with a new username on his home computer? I think?

Post 29 Apr 2013, 16:34 • #14 
Master Guide
It's funny (or maybe not), but I only noticed and read this thread because I just completed a perfectly normal and satisfactory transaction with the fellow a couple of weeks ago on the ULFF forum (where I presume he is still a member)--the luck of the innocent, I guess. :evil Tom, does Jeremy know all of this history?

Post 29 Apr 2013, 17:28 • #15 
Master Guide
Cross Creek wrote:
It's funny (or maybe not), but I only noticed and read this thread because I just completed a perfectly normal and satisfactory transaction with the fellow a couple of weeks ago on the ULFF forum (where I presume he is still a member)--the luck of the innocent, I guess. :evil Tom, does Jeremy know all of this history?

I did too. About 2 or 3 weeks ago he purchased my solid spooled/solid framed Abel TR Light for top dollar. It took him about 4 days to finally pay, but he did pay via paypal and he reported back that the reel arrived and he was more than satisfied with the condition of the reel. In all, it was a smooth transaction.

Had I heard these stories beforehand, I probably would not have transacted with him. I guess I was lucky too. But I have heard similar stories as stated above from some forum members that I greatly trust so I think the actions taken are appropriate.

Colt

Post 29 Apr 2013, 18:03 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Such act by such individuals give mankind a bad name. After reading the consistent dishonorable acts committed by this liar and thief (I am horrible on political correctness, I call it like I see it) on other forums, I am surprised he would get an honorable discharge after 2 years of service, maybe he didn't, who knows. To commit such acts on fellow veterans is like taking an assault rifle and gunning down your own platoon.

This is comparable to those who claim they were in the military, usually as a SEAL for some reason; They never served in their entire life but have medals strapped all over their bodies.

I will say I never had the privilege to serve in our military but I certainly respect those who honorable did serve. Let the spirit of giving to those who truly deserve our generosity in which this country is rightfully known by not be soiled by the dishonor of a few, the unproud, the judases.

Post 29 Apr 2013, 20:36 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
All,
Newtyer is done on ULFF. Jeremy made the call today after further review of all that has transpired.

Les

New Topic Add Reply