It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:24

New Topic Add Reply
2012 Hardy Cup Winner!!
Post 05 Aug 2012, 21:34 • #1 
Master Guide
Congrats to Mike Mcfarland winning distance casting contest at the 2nd annual Hardy Cup event hosted by Hardy at The Catskill Fly Fishing Center. I was there as his "corner man" meaning no late nights or alcohol involvement. The Forum members; Gearboy, Corlay and Saltsh were present to cheer him on. Very exciting event and totally new eye opening moments for me as Grand Masters of bamboo builders were everywhere. Folks of legendary lore Tom Moran, Marc Aroner, plus many more that I am sorry but fatigue is setting in. Mike threw two casts, exceeding 104 feet early Sat AM and sweated as rain, 100% humidity and 70 other casters followed. Hardy was fantastic as corporate hosts and 86 yr young Joan Wulff is amazing, shaking her hand was so special. On a side note: Hunting for glass rods, came upon new wrapped in plastic T&T Heirloom 7'6" 3 wt mixed in boo rods, asked price, and booth salesperson said $175, lightspeed took over and I said I am going to Hell, but with Steal of The Year. 15 minutes later, watching guys tossed line, same salesman running like madman, searching for T&T crook. A little voice told me a deal is a deal, but not worth creating a moment on Mike's parade. Duff I made you proud my friend. Great time on Corlay"s fav brookie stream, having lunch with Gearboy talking PSU football and very special time castings some wonderful boo rods made by Saltsh. Crap back to reality tomorrow.

Post 06 Aug 2012, 01:05 • #2 
Master Guide
Congrat's to Mike, and thanks for the report.

And, to be clear, you gave the rod back?

Post 06 Aug 2012, 05:09 • #3 
Master Guide
Yes I gave the rod back, life is too short. Boy, it was a brief moment of rapture. Seriously, the competition in this casting contest included the 1st and 2nd place winners from last year plus every stud caster in the Catskill. Mike does get to select bamboo rod from the Hardy masters of his choice. Sweet price for those masterpieces.

Post 06 Aug 2012, 05:51 • #4 
Guide
Way to go Mike!

Post 06 Aug 2012, 08:59 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
here's the winner in action:

and the big winning finish:

Post 06 Aug 2012, 09:16 • #6 
Master Guide
Congratulations Mike.
Apparently the strategy that you had worked out and explained to me in our conversation at the Michi-Glass gathering paid off. It's great to map out a plan and then execute it!
KUDOS!
Mark McKellip.

Post 06 Aug 2012, 09:22 • #7 
Master Guide
104' with a Boo rod is amazing! Congrats to Mike for the BIG heave!

Post 06 Aug 2012, 09:32 • #8 
Guide
Congratulations Mike.

What rod?

Last edited by kinzua on 07 Aug 2012, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Aug 2012, 12:09 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Congratulations, Mike! I kind of felt this was your year. Love hear the specs of that rod and also to see some photos.

Post 06 Aug 2012, 16:12 • #10 
Inactive
Thanks everyone. Duff and Kinzua, I was hoping to build my own rod but just didn't have time this year, so Chris Bogart built a blank for me to finish out and use in the competition. It was a 6' 10 3/4" 7wt hollow built. He designed the rod specifically for the competition (although it will make a great rod for BIG trout in small streams). You get a handicap for using a shorter rod. So just for the record, my casts included a 15 bonus. So the length of my two casts (106' and 104') were actually only 91' and 89'. The original rod that I had practiced with actually broke the morning of the competition (due to no fault of the maker), so I had to frantically try to find a replacement rod to cast. Chris luckily had a similar rod available, but I ended up using a different fly line than I had practiced with. With no practice with the line or rod I was a little nervous. You only get two attempts, so if you do something stupid like stand on the line or get a tailing loop your cast still counts. I was happy to get two conservative casts off with no mistakes.

Hardy certainly has a great event. It has a lot of guys (myself included) putting a lot of thought into casting technique and rod design. I think it is great for the sport. Already looking forward to next year.

Post 06 Aug 2012, 17:17 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Making it up to the event and the museum were wonderful, but the best part was seeing, hanging out and castings rods with Corlay (Corey), JasTrout (Jeff) and Mike. Of course being there for Mike's grand cast was a huge plus too. As an old diner fanatic, the Robin Hood Diner is hard to beat. A great breakfast and coffee for $3.50. I was ready to head back there for lunch but glad Jeff and I went into Roscoe, which I greatly enjoyed. Steve, I'm sorry I missed you on Sunday.
Massatoshi of Kineya Tackle, who came from Japan for the show. Mass is making some of the finest reels made today, my favorite of any new reels. I splurged and bought one of his drying patches made by his wife.
Corey casting Mike's new series and Jeff casting his Larry Kenney rod. I loved Larry's 7 foot 3 weight that Corey brought.
Corey is holding Mike's new series of glass, of which this is a super 7 foot 3 weight dry fly rod.

Last edited by gearboy on 06 Aug 2012, 17:39, edited 2 times in total.

Post 06 Aug 2012, 17:21 • #12 
Sport
Mike congrats, glad you made Chris proud. It is on my calendar for next year.
Well worth the 12 hour drive from Mi.
Glen

Post 06 Aug 2012, 23:26 • #13 
Master Guide
I definitely have to hit this event in the future.

Post 07 Aug 2012, 10:57 • #14 
Guide
Congrats Mike, that's some fancy casting!

Not really familiar with distance casting other than my late FF mentor/casting instructor used to compete in them in the 50's & 60's. Do you have to use a reel? Any falsecasts or limit to the number of them? What lines are allowed? I imagine hauling is allowed, but don't know. How does it work?

Again, nice job Mike!

Post 07 Aug 2012, 15:18 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Here's the winner!
http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-us/news-. .. hardy-cup/

Post 07 Aug 2012, 18:08 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Nice work Mike.

Post 08 Aug 2012, 00:16 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Duncan0 wrote:
Not really familiar with distance casting other than my late FF mentor/casting instructor used to compete in them in the 50's & 60's. Do you have to use a reel? Any falsecasts or limit to the number of them? What lines are allowed? I imagine hauling is allowed, but don't know. How does it work?

Most tournament casting (fly and plug, accuracy and distance events) is under the American Casting Association (ACA) rules. Here is a link to a summary description of the events on the ACA web site -- http://www.americancastingassoc.org/our_games/our_games.html. I don't know if the Hardy Cup follows the ACA rules.

Congratulations Mike!

Andrew.

Post 08 Aug 2012, 05:50 • #18 
Way to go Mike. Congrats!

Post 08 Aug 2012, 06:14 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Excellent job Mike ... you should be proud ... nice to see good things happen to good people.

Post 08 Aug 2012, 08:37 • #20 
Inactive
Duncan0 wrote:
Congrats Mike, that's some fancy casting!

Again, nice job Mike!

The rules for this event allow any cane rod up to 9' in length. For rods 7'6" to 7'11" you get a 5' handicap. Rods 7' to 7'5" receive a 10' handicap. Rods 6'11" and under get a 15' handicap. I think Hardy did a great job of setting the handicaps for rod length. I have run all the possible configurations through my head and find it hard to see where there is an actual advantage as far as length. Last year I built a 7'11" rod and got the 5 feet. This year we decided to go short and get the full 15'. Not sure about next year yet.

When you are called to the line, you can have up to 6 practice casts. When you say you are ready to score your casts, you get two distance casts. Both of these casts are totaled together and both casts count. Even if you stand on the line, lose your grip during a haul, etc. This is the hardest part of the event, not screwing up. After your two distance casts, you get one accuracy casts that can total up to 15 points. It is amazing how hard it is to hit the accuracy target. I think of the 75 or so casters, maybe 5 hit the target. And no, I was not one of them.

I don't think there are any rules that say the reel needs to be mounted. You can take as many false casts as you want. I would encourage anyone who is interested to try it next year. It is a great time and there were casters ranging from I think 7 years old to 95 years old. Everyone who cast received a raffle ticket for a chance to win a Hardy Bougle reel. It is a great event that is fun for everyone.

Post 08 Aug 2012, 16:28 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
That whole thing looks and sounds cool. Bantering in person with internet friends. Watching expert casters in action. Sampling great gear. And, I imagine there were a couple beers kicked back along the way.

New Topic Add Reply