It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:49

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Michi-glass event
Post 29 Jul 2012, 20:20 • #1 
Guide
The best brought their very best to the gathering. Last year I thought we saw it all, but NO

As you look at the pictures, you will begin to see the racks and racks of rods, not just any rods, but the very best.
I believe all the rod makers were represented, I am sure I missed a few, but as I recall they were all there.

This years Host, Mark McKellip pulled out all the stops, he not only put on a first class steak fry, but dazzeled us with a new rod grip.
Made of Leather in the fashion of a Marbles Knife handle, it was not only beautiful but extremely functional, you could really feel the rod right into your hand.
See photos.

Mike McFarland made the long trip from Pennsylvania and brought his newest models, they sure were a hit. They came in new colors and new actions, you have to find a way to get your hands on one of these. They certainly were a hit. Personally I am working on a new website for Mike and the rods were delivered to me to be photographed for the site, I will add some photos to the collection soon.

Thanks to all the guys who came out for the event, thanks to Mark and his family for all the hard work. Thanks Sandy.
Besides two great meals, there were homemade cookies, breads, breads and more. Not only is Mark a great Rod Builder, but a great Cook and most important, married an even better cook. Thanks Sandy.

I know there are things I should put down in words, but to be honest, I am exhausted. I have a lot more images to get ready to post and I will keep adding them, so check back in a day or two. For those of you who attended, please put in your two cents, like you really have to ask any of these guys to add their thoughts. The conversations ran from deep like the bend on the river to deep like the depths of the ocean. Mostly, I just stood back shook my head and took another picture.

That is it from the deep woods of Michigan, I am out of here, Barck.

This is my newest bag, I was so impressed that it had a bottle holder, I just had to buy one and a six pack to try it out.

This is host Mark McKellips new leather ring handle and reel seat. TOOOO COOOOOL!

Mike McFarlands new white rod, no name for it yet, but wow is this a great casting rod.

Here are the rest with no captions, make up your own!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I as usual took twice this many, and will post more when I get caught up. Barck

Re: Michi-glass event
Post 29 Jul 2012, 20:36 • #2 
Master Guide
Fantastic event. Many thanks to Mark McKellip for hosting this gathering. Fine rods, fishermen and food.

Gregg is spot on regarding the new leather grip on Mark's rod. Interesting to hold and beautiful to see. These look sharp on both glass and bamboo rods.

Nice to see Mike McFarland and try his latest offerings. Two of his rods stood out quite high on the day for me including his prototype 7' 2" three weight.

Additional thanks to Adam for bringing out his amazing collection of rods from Wojnicki, McGarland and others.

Great to catch up with those present. Fun day.

Post 29 Jul 2012, 21:08 • #3 
Master Guide
I am so disappointed I missed this. Beyond my control but painful nonetheless. Glad a good time was had by all.

DT

Post 29 Jul 2012, 21:16 • #4 
Guide
Help remembering a name. Who was the outstanding artist who painted the canoe on Adams truck?

I met to many people in to short a time on Saturday. I also did not get around to photographing that amazing canoe.

I had to leave to shoot another job and things a just a blurrrrrr.

Anyone happen to get a photo of that fantastic canoe.

Leave it to Adam to bring a days worth of rods to cast and 15 foot Brook Trout!

Post 30 Jul 2012, 06:44 • #5 
Guide
My first time and I'm glad I made the 8 hour drive. Great people, great rods, great food. Thanks to all who helped put this on and I'm sorry for those of you who missed it.

Post 30 Jul 2012, 10:22 • #6 
Guide
Dave, we would like to thank you for making the drive. It was nice having a Buckeye in the gathering, the Hardy "Test" was a delight to cast and the bamboo rods you brought along were wonderful. Please let us all know the name of the Bamboo Rod maker. The nodeless rod was a true work of art.

Hope to see you next year.
I really enjoyed meeting you, Gregg

Post 30 Jul 2012, 10:44 • #7 
Guide
The bamboo rods were made by Jerry Snider. He calls his rod company Otter Creek Rods after one of his favorite streams in Montana. Jerry has a PhD in Botany and is retired professor from University of Cincinnati. He builds rods for his own use and some friends. Doesn't do any commercial building but does have an active business teaching bamboo rod making. He has helped me a lot in learning to wrap and finish rods but I'll never reach his level of perfection. Just not !!!! enough to re-wrap a rod three or four times to get it perfect.

Post 30 Jul 2012, 13:27 • #8 
Thanks Mark for putting on a great event, you guys made a rookie feel welcome. I look forward to putting my first fiberglass rod on some fish soon.
-Jeff

Post 30 Jul 2012, 14:25 • #9 
Sport
Delightful day, I learned more than I will be able to retain. Thanks to all who attended and were so willing to share not only rods but knowledge.

Glen

Post 30 Jul 2012, 17:52 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a wonderful event, all. Congrats on it.

And that canoe is absurdly cool! Would love to see some on the water photos at some point.

And who makes the silver-finished reel shown below? Speyco? Very nice!
Barck wrote:

Post 30 Jul 2012, 19:02 • #11 
Guide
here is the missing roll of film (aka disk) As for a turn out, I have went through my mind and photos and seem to come up with 29.
I believe that is about double last year. Next year we need a bigger boat!

Enjoy the pics. I did have a couple more of the canoe and the artist. No one has posted his name yet. He is in the first photo below.

Who is the artist who painted the canoe. He is pictured in this batch with the canoe.

My wish list now includes.

A Mark McKellip Glass rod with leather grip
A McFarland White glass with green wraps 7'9" 4wt.
A McFarland White glass 6'8" 3 wt.
A Hardy Test
A Brook Trout painting on my drift boat
A Abel Reel with McFarland engraved to fit my new 3 wt
A Row baot full of money
A lot more clients with a boat load of money to spend on photography

It does not hurt to dream big! Barck

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post 30 Jul 2012, 20:14 • #12 
Administrator
Barck ... fine photos and recount of the clave. I sure wish that I could have made it.

The canoe artist is James Deloria out of Petoskey. He is a fine artist in many mediums but his canoe work is especially striking. I put together a TFM post last year which highlighted some of his canoe paint jobs.

http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/2011/03/james-delorias-canoe-art.html

Do you have more clave photos to share?

Post 30 Jul 2012, 21:11 • #13 
Guide
Thanks to all of you for showing me such a good time. A special thanks to Mark and his family.

Pete Magas
Marquette

Post 30 Jul 2012, 22:43 • #14 
Master Guide
I want to thank all who attended our gathering. This truly was a special day for me. I want to especially thank Mike for travelling from PA, for his sharing of info and adding greatly to the mix in this very diversified group of fine gentlemen and fishermen. I want to thank as well Doug Reaume and Glen Blackwood for bringing tables to the affair and Steve Taylor, my son Sean, his wife Stacy and my wife Sandy in helping me prepare the dinner. I GREATLY appreciate Gregg Barckholtz for his help, especially for all the great photos.
We are already making plans for next year, so whoever couldn't make it this year, be ready for the next one.
Sincerely,
Mark McKellip.

Post 31 Jul 2012, 07:44 • #15 
Guide
It was a really nice affair. There were always 3 to 5 guys casting rods and discussing their qualities. The weather was super - around 80, sun and clouds. The day before it rained pigs from 6am to 3pm. I think the best part was the new prople I met who I hope I see again. Thanks to Mark and family for putting on this event as it was a lot of work to organize and stay on track. THanks also to Gregg for securing the gathering lodge that worked out well.

Doug

Post 31 Jul 2012, 22:42 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Barck,

Those are wonderful photos. You should be a professional photographer ;)
:lol

Carl

Post 01 Aug 2012, 00:55 • #17 
Inactive
What a great weekend. The food was great and the amount of rods was astounding. After hosting numerous gatherings I know how much work it is and Mark and his family pulled it off to perfection. Really glad I made the trip. It was great to meet some new forum members and visit with some old friends. I particularly enjoyed talking rod building with Mark. Not only is he a talented rod maker, he is also the first guy I have met that likes the amount of gin I put into a drink.

Already looking forward to next year.

Post 01 Aug 2012, 05:44 • #18 
Looked like a great event. Love all the pictures. Hope one day I can make it up there. Thanks for sharing.

Post 01 Aug 2012, 10:23 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for sharing the great photos, Barck. Looks like everyone had a wonderful time - love to make it up there some day.

Post 01 Aug 2012, 21:43 • #20 
Guide
Here are some pictures from our fearless leader Mark McKellip.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I don't remember seeing the one old guy! Barck

Post 01 Aug 2012, 23:20 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
That looks like it was a lot of fun.

Did someone get a rod count?

Post 01 Aug 2012, 23:32 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Wow so many great rods from times of past and present. I would have loved To see all of my most wanted rods in person, but maybe it's a good thing I hadn't ...

Something like this needs to happen in Cali, preferably northern, ;)

Post 02 Aug 2012, 11:04 • #23 
Master Guide
carlz wrote:
That looks like it was a lot of fun.

Did someone get a rod count?

I don't think it would be a stretch to think 75 to 80 rods, perhaps more.
Mark.

Post 03 Aug 2012, 11:18 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
I think probably more like double that, Mark. I know I brought 25 rods myself. Adam had at least that many. I'd say closer to 150 rods were there. And that's just the ones that got pulled out for everyone to see. If you asked around, you probably could have cast just about anything you wanted.

Since last year, Mark McKellip has been dressing fiberglass rods in addition to producing his own cane rods. Mark's rods are beautiful but you guys need to see his grip & reelseat treatments up close and personal. They are a work of art. The pictures don't do justice to the fit and finish of cork and wood. They are seamless. I liked them so much, I bought one earlier this year and brought it to the show. It graces a Steffen 8' 4/5 wt 3pc. My goodness, that is a helluva trout rod. This year, Mark stole the show with his new stacked leather grip. It was a sight to behold. I am really miffed at Mark now because I may have to buy one of those too.

What a wonderful day to sit under the trees and talk about nothing but rods. It was a delight to see old friends and meet new ones. The rod selection was different this year. Last year, there were lots of vintage rods. This year, it was dominated by Steffens, McFarlands, Wojnicki's, Kenney's, SweetGrass, etc. The McKellip clan sure put on a spread from home made bread (McKellip used to be a baker) to melt in you mouth beef tenderloin. It was a fine finish to a great day.

Now it's time to eat some crow. Some of you may know that I think McFarland rods are very fine rods, but I have not been the biggest fan of his tapers. Well Mike showed up with some of his new tapers, the new ones he's now rolling himself. And Adam brought a number of his McFarlands along too, including a number of the S-Glass rods. The best new design at the outing, I have to say was a McFarland S-Glass 8'8" 4wt 3pc in the black S-Glass. It was a "WOW" rod in my hands ... smooth, delicate, light in the hand, absolutely magnificent. I've got one on order. I asked Mike what he was going to do when the black S-Glass ran out which will be very soon. He said he's got some new clear S-glass coming he can paint brown and will be producing those towards the end of this year or beginning of next. Do yourself a favor and check the 8'8" 4wt 3pc rod out. You won't regret it.

Last edited by CrustyBugger on 05 Aug 2012, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Aug 2012, 08:53 • #25 
Guide
What a great event! Thanks to Mark for putting it on, and making it so easy to focus on what was important, the people and the rods. If I had to guess, I'd say I cast 70 different rods, 50 of them modern glass. I was blown away by how great they felt and cast. Golden Age? I would have enjoyed fishing any of them. There were so many good to great casters there, I felt like I got better as the day went on. Thanks to Mike and Mark for all the great rods. Adam is the devil. "Here, try this one." (Too much fun) Nice pictures Barck, nice to meet you.

I liked that every time I picked up a rod to cast, someone I just met would come over and ask what I was casting, cast it themselves and then hand it back with an evaluation that gave me something to think about as I cast it again. Listening to Mike and Mark answer questions about rods was a wealth of information. Nice to be in such an educated relaxed crowd. It will take a while to absorb.

The people were great, the rods fantastic, food was excellent, I'll be back next year, but I'll stay overnight and enjoy it longer. Thanks all for making it so good. John

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply